Tomorrow I mark another year. I don’t know why, but I’m looking forward to this particular mark more than years past. How can you be excited about getting older? I know, weird isn’t it? I shouldn’t be surprised though. One of the things I appreciate about my mom is that she continually teaches me to appreciate where I am now, and to grow old gracefully (if you call jumping out of a plane at 66 years old graceful! Go mom! 🙂 )
Maybe because it is a marker for something new, and this year has been all about new. New endeavors, like this blog. New friends, like Estrella, Rev. Pat, Gina and Joanne. New challenges, like J’s Love Project. Even what is old is new. Existing relationships, perspectives, outlook, hope… When I started this year, I determined it would not end up like last year. I’m shooting for the moon. Not always getting there, but it’s better than burying my head in the sand, or just letting life happen to me.
Maybe because I am in a time of transition, and for once, I’m not afraid of where it will take me. I’ve learned this year to face some of my biggest fears, to accept things I never would have, to not feel that I have to conform. I’m learning to love me in a completely different way, and with that to love others more deeply.
As I contemplated my birthday, I didn’t think about what presents I would get, or even what I want (ok, I do need a new gym bag, but… 🙂 ). I really started thinking about my friends, family, loved ones, and what I want for them. For you. I thought about a wish for each year, but I am so not that creative :-), so I will do what I can:
My Birphday Wishes for you:
- I wish that you experience a love that lets you know that you are valued, important, and unique among all creation
- I wish you laugh until you cry
- I wish you real hugs… the kind that make you feel safe and loved and protected, and make others wonder…
- I wish you at least one new experience that takes your breath away… and then one more
- I wish you the conquering of your biggest fear
- I wish you would dance like no one is looking, and then like everyone is watching… and cheering
- I wish you new friends like those that have blessed my life, and old friends to become even stronger
- I wish you passionate kisses, goosbump raising touches, breathtaking glances
- I wish you the fulfillment of your dreams
I wish you know just how much you mean to me. How this birphday would be nothing without you, and that I am the man I am partly because of who you are to me.